Looks like you caught the “love bug”! These cute little fruit lady bugs are fun and easy to make with your kids, give as a homemade gift to your loved one, or a perfect and healthy dessert to share with your friends and family!
Fruit Love Bugs
Prep time: 30 minutes
Yields: About 48 love bugs
- 16 oz. package of strawberries (about 24)
- 1 cup of purple grapes
- 1 black decorative writer – gel or icing
- 4 oz. of chocolate melting wafers (flavor is up to you!)
- 1 pack of mini flat candy eyeballs (available at most grocery stores)
- Paper towels
- Double boiler or electric chocolate melting pot
- If you do not have a double boiler or electric melting pot, no worries! All you will need is a small pot for the bottom, and a heat resistant bowl to fit over the top of the pot
- Rinse strawberries and grapes well and then lay them on paper towels to dry.
- In the meantime, start melting the chocolate in the double broiler or electric melting pot on low.
- Completely remove the green stems from the strawberries and cut each strawberry in half.
- Now it’s time to start creating your love bugs! Stick the toothpick from the top of the strawberry all the way through the end. Then, take a grape and stick it through the toothpick, on top of the strawberry and place it on the plate. Continue with this until you’ve used all your strawberries.
- By the time you’ve finished with all the fruit, your chocolate should be melted. To decorate the eyes for the love bugs, dip one end of a toothpick and spread some on the back of the candy eyes, then place them onto the grape.
- Almost finished! In order to decorate the body, take your black gel and make one line down the middle of the strawberry, and small dots on both sides.
- Place your love bugs on a plate and serve these cute little love bugs this Valentine’s Day!