Show off your pride with these red, white and blue desserts guaranteed to make your friends and family smile. Perfect for Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day bash, these patriotic desserts are fun to make with the kids and delicious to eat!
“Patriotic Fruit Sparklers”
Prep time: 45 minutes
Yields: Approx 24 skewers
- 1 whole watermelon
- About 6-8 apples
- 6 oz. package of blueberries
- Lemon juice
Suggestion: Turn up the fun by infusing fruits with vodka overnight, because let’s face it – everything tastes better when you add in alcohol!
- 1 package of various sized star-shaped cookie cutters
- 1 package of colorful paper straws (Could be any color or design you’d like, have fun with it!)
1. Prep your fruit:
- Cut your watermelon into 1 1/2 – 2 inch slices
- Wash apples and blueberries, pat dry
- Cut apples into about four slices (1/2 inch)
- Pour lemon juice on top of the slices to prevent them from turning brown!
2. Use the largest star-shaped cookie cutter for your watermelon pieces.
3. Next, make a small hole in the middle of your apple slices that will be big enough to fit your blueberries. Take a small size star-shaped cookie cutter and use those for your apple slices
4. Take that same cookie cutter and use it on the watermelon pieces
5. Now, go ahead and put your star-shaped apple slices into your star-shaped watermelon pieces. Then, put a blueberry in the middle of each star.
6. Finish by putting a straw through the watermelon and apple!
Transfer the fruit skewers on a plate and get ready to serve them at any Patriotic party! You can also individually wrap them for your guests to take home as a favor!