I think we can all agree that hot apple cider wins the award for favorite cold weather drink. But before you head out to your local coffee shop for a $12 cup of apple cider, we’re here to tell you that it’s surprisingly easy and affordable to make at home. So whether you’re preparing for a big holiday party or just sitting by the fire with a good book, put the apples from your most recent apple picking adventure to good use!
What You’ll Need:
Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 5-10 minutes Serving size: 6
- 6 cups apple cider
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 6 allspice berries, whole
- 1 orange peel, sliced
- 1 lemon peel, sliced
Step #1: Pour apple cider and maple syrup into a large, heat-resistant saucepan.
Step #2: Place your cinnamon sticks, allspice berries, and sliced orange and lemon peels onto a clean cheesecloth (or any other type of cotton cloth). Pull the corners to the center of the cloth and tie them together with a piece of thick string.
Step #3: Set the spice bundle into the cider mixture you made in step #1.
Step #4: Place the saucepan over low to moderate heat for 5-10 minutes. While your cider should certainly be warm, it should not be boiling.
Step #5: Turn off the heat and throw out the spice bundle. Immediately pour your cider into a large pitcher, then into individual mugs.
While traditional apple cider never fails to warm our hearts, there are dozens of ways to spice (literally and figuratively) it up a bit.
- Add one cup of red or white wine per two cups of apple cider for a more adult twist on this winter classic.
- Bring out the fruity flavors of classic apple cider by adding freshly made red sangria to the mix.
- Irish whiskey. Give your drink a more rich and creamy taste by adding in one shot of this cream-based liqueur per one cup of cider.
- Fruit slices. Cranberries, apples, oranges, berries — nearly all of our favorite fruits taste delicious when sliced and added to warm apple cider.
- Spices and mints. Break a few fruit peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, ginger, and peppermint out of your beloved spice drawer and let guests create their own drinks.
While you’re busy hosting inlaws and preparing for holiday parties, let us take care of appetizers and desserts! With same-day delivery on many of our most popular items, you’ll be enjoying our chocolate-covered treats in no time!