Let’s face it – while life is meant to be filled with positive, happy experiences that have you smiling from ear to ear, there are going to be times where things can’t help but get a little tough. The good news, though, is that in some cases, there are ways to work around it – we’re sure you’ve heard of “life hacks” before.
Everyone’s talking about them – life hacks for relationships, for health, for work, for money – and today, we’re talking about them too. Check out our seven favorite fruit life hacks below.
- Getting rid of strawberry stems. Do you spend a lot of time trying to cut off the stem of a strawberry without cutting off too much? Or, are you always trying to eat around the stem when eating a strawberry that isn’t cut up? You can say goodbye to those days now! Instead of doing this, take a straw and stick it into the bottom of the strawberry and then push it all the way up to the top – it’ll push the stem right off!
- Adding flavor to water. Tired of the taste of water but don’t want to indulge in sugary drinks? No worries, you can find the flavor you’re looking for with the help of some fruit! To do so, you’ll want to add fruit to your ice tray before freezing it (think smaller fruits, like raspberries or blueberries). Once things have frozen over, add your “fruit cubes” to your water and enjoy!
- Preventing brown apples. Ever cut up an apple in the morning to bring to school or work for lunch, only to find that the slices have turned brown by the time you’re ready to eat? We have, and we know how disappointing it can be! To prevent this from happening, mix two tablespoons of honey and one cup of water together, then pour the mixture over your apple slices and let them soak.
- Keeping bananas fresh. Buying bananas can be hard – you don’t want to buy too many to prevent them from rotting, but you also don’t want to buy too little since you won’t have enough to eat! Don’t worry, there’s a trick for this too. To keep your bananas fresh until you’re ready to eat them, take some plastic wrap and apply it around the stems.
- Finding ripe avocados. There’s nothing like buying some avocados only to open them up and see that they aren’t ripe and ready to eat. To ensure that you’re choosing an avocado that hasn’t already gone bad, you’ll want to remove the little stem-like nub at the very top – if it’s dark, find a different one. Bonus tip: if you have avocados that aren’t ripe yet and you’re anxious to eat them, you can speed things up by sticking them in a paper bag with some bananas.
- Squeezing lemon juice. If you’ve ever tried to squeeze a lemon manually, we’re sure you’ve sprayed some lemon juice all over the counter (or maybe even all over you!). For those without access to a lemon juicer, you can use a common household item to help you out – tongs. Just place your lemon in the middle and squeeze both sides together!
- Chilling wine. Okay, we know this doesn’t seem like a fruit life hack at first, but it actually is! Chilling wine with ice cubes can water it down, but you can prevent this by using grapes instead! For this, just stick some grapes in the freezer before you know you’re going to pour yourself a glass so that they have time to get cold.
How many of these have you heard of before? If this is the first time you’re coming across these fruit life hacks, we encourage you to keep them in the back of your mind – you never know when they might come in handy! And when they do, we bet you’ll be glad they did.